As Winter Comes To An End, Give Your Car A Spring Clean
GEM Motoring Assist, the road safety charity and award-winning breakdown cover company, is advising drivers to get into gear as spring approaches. With the new spring season officially starting on Wednesday 20th March, now is the time to get your car ready for the promise of warmer weather, says GEM.
In light of the changing seasons, GEM has created a check list for spring cleaning your car, in order to help ensure your vehicle is in tip top condition. As spring marks the end of winter, GEM sees it as a good opportunity to make sure your car hasn’t been too badly affected by the harsh weather, which we’ve experienced lately.
David Williams MBE, CEO of GEM Motoring Assist, comments: “Adverse weather conditions can really take their toll on your vehicle, particularly snow and rain. Even standing water and puddles on the road can be corrosive to the underside of your car. With spring, we should see lighter and brighter weather, so it is a good time to run some simple maintenance checks on your car to make sure it’s ready to roll, as summer itself edges nearer.”
GEM’s spring clean check list:
- Wash your car thoroughly, including hosing beneath the wheel arches, where corrosive salty deposits can build up
- Having no fluid in your screenwash bottle is illegal, fill up now and keep it topped up at all times
- Running on under-inflated tyres reduces their ability to grip, particularly in wet conditions. Make sure yours at least meet the minimum legal tread depth of 1.6mm
- Look under the bonnet and check that nothing is blocking the interior air vents, such as dead leaves or clogged up dirt from the winter period
- Don’t be afraid to use the air conditioning. When the inside windows get fogged up, turn your air con on, and remember, using it regularly will help maintain it in an optimum condition
Follow GEM on Twitter @MotoringAssist