GEM’s Top Tips For A More Fluid February
With lots of us having tried a ‘dry January’ detox period, GEM is encouraging a more indulgent approach to treating your car this month with its ‘fluid February’ advice.
Following on from January’s ‘New Gear Resolutions’ GEM Motoring Assist, the road safety organisation and breakdown cover company, has provided key tips to help make sure your car gets the care it needs to stay in top condition from now onwards.
The tips focus on the important fluids that a car needs to run as efficiently as possible all year round. Looking after engine oil, fuel pumps, anti-freeze and screen wash levels, all contribute to a clean engine and a more reliable vehicle.
David Williams MBE, CEO of GEM Motoring Assist, comments: “It’s never too late to start taking proper care of your car and, the more attention you give it, the longer it will last if you look after it correctly. We hope that these tips encourage motorists to carry on maintaining their vehicle long after New Year resolutions and good intentions fade, as they often do after January.”
GEM’s tips for a fluid February
- Prior to making a cold start in sub-zero temperatures, allow fuel pumps time to pressurise by leaving the ignition on for approximately five seconds before activating the starter motor
- Engine oil has to be at an optimum temperature to offer the fullest protection. Therefore, increase engine revs and load progressively as the engine warms
- The dirt on your paint can abrade the surface if anything brushes past it. Wash your car regularly and direct a hose beneath the wheel arches and under the floor to help remove any corrosive salty deposits
- Ensure that the engine coolant contains anti-freeze strength of between 30% and 50%. If the concentration is too low the engine could freeze. If too high the effectiveness of the solution to disperse heat is minimised
- Keep the screen wash bottle topped up and use the right concentration of solution. Driving with an empty bottle is illegal