A guide to greener driving
Your choice of car, fuel and your style of driving, can all have a real affect on the environment. But, GEM Motoring Assist believes that if we all adopt a more ‘green’ approach to driving, we could make a difference for the better.
The award-winning breakdown cover company and road safety charity has created an online bible, ‘Green driving’, which includes how to choose the right car and fuel, drive more economically, as well as a handy FAQs section.
David Williams MBE, CEO of GEM Motoring Assist, comments: “We want motorists to know that there absolutely is something that we can all do to reduce the mark that we leave on the environment. As a nation, if we all practice ‘green driving’ we will be able to make a much more positive impact. As individuals, we can also save some money in the process.”
To help those that are looking to buy a new car, GEM has outlined simple tips to consider, helping to select a car that will compliment your ‘green driving’ skills.
Go green for a new car:
- Car manufacturers in the EU must, by law, display the fuel consumption and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions for every new model. Make sure that you check the standards
- Remember that the lower the rating, the lower your annual car tax liability
- Some car manufactures also offer a factory-fitted LPG conversion option for new cars
- Bear in mind also that Diesel cars are more fuel efficient and produce less CO2
- Electric vehicles are eligible for a 100 per cent discount from the Congestion Charge in London