Gearing up for the summer holidays
With summer officially beginning on Friday [21st June], and with schools preparing for the end of term, lots of people will be getting ready for a family holiday. To help those planning a long trip in the car, GEM Motoring Assist has published ‘Summer Driving Tips’ packed full of handy information and useful advice.
The award-winning breakdown cover company and road safety charity has created the guide with families in mind, offering advice on travelling with children in particular. Travelling with pets is also covered, as well as general information and guidance in the case of a breakdown.
David Williams MBE, CEO of GEM Motoring Assist, comments: “The journey and travel time to a holiday destination can sometimes be a stressful and fraught experience. However, we want to help make this period as manageable and as safe as possible with useful advice and checklists for motorists. The guide aims to help take the stress out of travelling, allowing families to look forward to their summer holiday this year.”
GEM’s general summer driving tips:
• Always prepare your car before leaving on a long journey, including checking the tyres, brakes, windscreen wash, lights, oil, and water levels
• If towing a caravan, carry out the suitable checks to ensure its roadworthiness
• Plan your journey so that you know where you are going, taking a map or GPRS system with you
• Make sure that you have the telephone number for your destination (such as a hotel or B&B) in case you do get lost or your vehicle breaks down
• Allow extra time to get to your destination if travelling at peak times. Try to avoid Friday evenings when everyone else will be on the road
• While driving, keep an eye on your petrol levels, especially if you don’t know where the next filling station is, and try not to let the gauge fall below one quarter
• Make sure that you have adequate car breakdown cover, and the emergency call-out number and contact details with you